ateesht

KL with the Fuji X70

Christopher

I enjoyed the set, I hope to visit some day. I see you also have an LX100 and Ricoh GR, how are you liking the X70 next to these cameras?

ateesht

Christopher

I had the LX100 till it was appropriated by my dad. I still have the GR.

Having used the GRD III, GRD IV and the GR, I have a soft corner for that camera that goes beyond just performance. But the GR is a fantastic camera. The autofocus may be a hair slower than the X70 and the colours may pop less OOC. It has a tack sharp lens, snap focus and one-handed operation going for it. I wrote a few thoughts about the comparison hereo if you are interested:  http://spode.zenfolio.com/blog/2016/3/the-fuji-x70-a-somewhat-comparative-review 

If Panasonic come out with the successor of the LX100 and pack in some of the features of the GX85 - no low pass filter, touch functionality and a higher resolution sensor, it may indeed become the king of compacts.

Despite all this, I am really beginning to enjoy the X70. Still figuring out an acceptable work process for LR, but I'll get there.

• Like 1

MadDog

I like the black and white photo.  Did you process it or is it straight out of the camera?

artuk
On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:44 PM, MadDog said:

I like the black and white photo.  Did you process it or is it straight out of the camera?

ironically I didn't like that one as the effect of the sky makes it look like its had a lt if hdr or tone mapping applied, and to me it has a very "processed" look (something I don't like, nothing against that specific photo).

the second one has potential but I don't understand the framing - its rather "loose" and empty on the right but has half an interesting looking Indian lady on the left - I assume because it was a "grab shot"

the Chinese temple is my favourite, and I know that location well.

Edited by artuk
gave reason for comment

ateesht

Artuk

Thanks for the comment. You are right. The second was a grab shot. And as the Fuji X70 is not so easy to manage one-handed I messed up the framing somewhat.

in regards to the first one, because of the somewhat Vikrant Fuji colours, I preferred the B&W. Are you in KL?

artuk
9 hours ago, ateesht said:

Artuk

Thanks for the comment. You are right. The second was a grab shot. And as the Fuji X70 is not so easy to manage one-handed I messed up the framing somewhat.

in regards to the first one, because of the somewhat Vikrant Fuji colours, I preferred the B&W. Are you in KL?

you're welcome, and I hope that they were taken in the spirit they were intended.

I like the "idea" of the second photo and I like the Malay man, but I think including all of the Indian lady even at the edge of the frame would have made it something much better, as although the people at the rear rhs add some context, I think it's a bit empty and doesn't add that much to the picture as it is. Grab shots are hard if you are trying not to be noticed - one trick I that because most people have no idea of field of view, look past people into the distance (e.g . As if photographing the gazebo behind them) and you may be able to frame how you want fairly unnoticed. Personally, I ask permission for street portraits, which gets a different style of photo.

I visited the same Chinese shrine around late May and have been to that location on the edge of Chinatown before - there is an excellent Hindu across the street too. I visit KL from time to time as I have Malaysian friends.

ateesht

Good to know. I was hoping you were in KL because I intend to visit again in the near future and was looking to do a photo wall with a veteran. In regards to the Hindu temple across the street, here's one but taken with my much humbler iPhone6:

image.jpeg

artuk

I prefer your Chinese shrine with the cleaner, but I was shooting stock, so generally try to avoid people as it limits their use without model release forms!

In spite of the "technical" limitations of your iPhone photo, I like the atmosphere very much.  Hindu temples can be difficult to photograph as many have restrictions on photography, apart from the exterior of the building which is often little more than a wall on the street.

Not taken with Fuji.  First one OOC B&W jpeg.  Second one processed from Raw using SilkyPix Pro v7.

DSC07969 sml.JPG

DSC07915 sml.jpg