Last night I was changing a lens and I moved the camera in such a way that I was holding it like you normally would and I slightly angled it back, with the face of the body towards the ceiling - when I did this the body exhibited a strange internal sound like something was moving around. Obviously with a brand new XT2 camera I started to panic and I tested this all night by removing a bunch of variables - battery, SD cards, moving the screen in and out, putting slight pressure on the screen to keep it still, etc. No matter what I did I got this weird internal knocking/clunking sound up around the eye piece/EVF/diopter area. 

I contacted Fuji Film Canada and the retailer where I purchased the camera. After a morning of talking and testing from both parties I was given the following information:

Fuji Canada: *"That clunking noise is normal; that's how the camera was designed. Me and my supervisor moved a demo X-T2 we have here just like you did and we heard that clunking. We couldn't open up the body to find out exactly where it is coming from."*

CameraCanada: *"Just got off the phone with Fuji tech rep. That's exactly what he said. It's how they designed it. I also checked the in store model and I understand exactly what you were talking about. It's a design. They don't know what it is. My rep didn't even notice it until I told him. He then checked and called me back after talking to his team"*

So there you have it.  I posted this on Reddit and other people reported their cameras not making any sounds at all. :/

Did you have fitted, a 90mm f2 or 50-140 f2.8 or ( I believe) 16-55 f2.8? These lenses AF are magnet assisted so you'll both feel and hear lens elements moving moving as the lens (rather than the camera) is turned up or down unless the camera is switched on which then activate the magnets to hold everything firm. If this is what you are experiencing it is normal, expected behaviour.

If it's body only rattle then it doesn't seem right.

Hey Thanks for the reply. No the rattle happens in the body only - whether there is no lens attached or if there is a lens attached. Fuji Canada seems to think its normal. I actually have a 2nd XT2 body coming tomorrow so I will be able to fact check it against that one. 

In the early days of digital (about 10 or so years ago) Nikons used to make the same sort of sounds. Nikon had an orientation sensor that lossely consisted of a ball bearing that rolled around in a housing and as the ball bearing was always at the bottom the camera knew which way was up as far at orienting the image was concerned. 

Maybe Fuji are using something similar but I would have thought that if X-T2 cameras generally made clucking noises the Internet would be awash with bitching moaning and threats that people would never buy another Fuji. 

xmac,

I have the X-T2 and there is no rattle as far as I can hear. I have tried this with and without lenses (even shaking it somewhat vigorously). The only sounds I hear when using it is the whine of the 35/1.4 lens AF motors as it tries to keep up with the speed of the body.

• 2 weeks later...

All Xt1 cameras had that knocking inside, I've owned 2 of them.
My xt2 also has a subtle knock as if something is loose inside when you move it to and fro.
I suggest you visit a camera store and try other xt2 bodies. They all have it.

• 1 year later...

hi, having noticed this anomaly too i think the sound is from the viewfinder dioptre mechanism.

with the adjuster dial turned all the way to the "+" side the knock seems to occur less than when the dial is fully clockwise to the "-" symbol. probably incorrect but it seems a logical source as my knock only occurs when tilting back and forth and no sound when rotating between landscape and portrait

posted here instead of regular forums as i had followed links to here from many of them.