fujitsu2

best battery usage

fujitsu2

Just recently purchased xt2, but trying to find the optimal battery life use.  In the past I simply turned my camera on & off when I was and wasn't using taking pictures. I was told by some people this could harm the battery over time.  Now I leave my xt2 on with the electronic viewfinder on optical sensor and only use the LCD when reviewing images.  Any tips from you guys about what else I can do to lengthen my battery life ?  I will get a full day of photographs out of one battery at this point.

thanks all around-

veejaycee

As an old time film photographer for many years I'm still in the habit of shooting sparely and taking care over composition etc. In days of yore I might have shot as many as 5 even 6 x 36 exposure films and considered it a lot. Funnily enough that equates to half the approximate number of expected exposures from an XT2 battery (370-ish). Surely there is no problem with carrying a spare and taking 5 secs to swap. Even though I don't find the need to swap batteries I take 2 or 3 spares depending on whether I carry 1 or 2 bodies. Likewise spare SD cards - it is not unknown for me to find I haven't recharged a battery or remembered to remove the card from PC back into camera when I go to take my first shot - I've even left the main battery in the charger. Even then I can cock it up - last week I swapped to a smaller bag, single camera and lens and quickly added a spare battery and card only to find out there was no card in the camera and the empty card case I'd added was no help!

My setup with XT1 is Quick start , eye sensor evf, auto off 30sec - but unless I expect to shoot very quickly I switch the camera off. This is quicker than waiting for the camera to wake up. I see no reason this should shorten battery life but even if it did it wouldn't be by much - and life is too short to worry about such very minor things - just buy another.

In short - carry a spare (3rd party - Wasabi?) and don't worry.

BTW - battery life is said to get better after several charge/discharge cycles.

• Like 2

farrell
20 hours ago, fujitsu2 said:

Just recently purchased xt2, but trying to find the optimal battery life use.  In the past I simply turned my camera on & off when I was and wasn't using taking pictures. I was told by some people this could harm the battery over time.  Now I leave my xt2 on with the electronic viewfinder on optical sensor and only use the LCD when reviewing images.  Any tips from you guys about what else I can do to lengthen my battery life ?  I will get a full day of photographs out of one battery at this point.

thanks all around-

Being retired from an engineering background, I resist the notion that turning the camera off

when not actively shooting can harm the battery.

I am very much a believer in conservation of energy(especially my own)and as veejaycee

has pointed out, the best insurance is more batteries/more cards.

• Like 1

robbie17

My local dealer, also a fuji nut, told me that the xt-2 body should have the 126s but will be ok if you use 126 in the grip. Also its more about the 4k video that produces the heat problems, so I would probably go along with Dan. As for the battery power not lasting as long, the xt-2 has a lot of power sucking things tucked away like faster AF use and larger pic output to cope with and all these things suck up the power and compared with the xt-1 which now looks quite basic when comparing the two.  Just my thoughts, but I am still with xt-1 and watching how others are finding it on a longer time scale.   Anyone out there know what the FO warning means that has appeared on my xt-1 screen?

veejaycee
15 minutes ago, robbie17 said:

Anyone out there know what the FO warning means that has appeared on my xt-1 screen?

Is it with all lenses? It signifies a contact problem usually. Try re-seating the lens and if necessary a factory reset. Other that I can only direct you to this thread which ended in a return to Fuji.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3969158?page=2

robbie17
1 minute ago, veejaycee said:

Is it with all lenses? It signifies a contact problem usually. Try re-seating the lens and if necessary a factory reset. Other that I can only direct you to this thread which ended in a return to Fuji.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3969158?page=2

Its all lenses in AF and MF, I will follow the thread you have added. Thanks for a quick response.

robbie17
17 minutes ago, robbie17 said:

Its all lenses in AF and MF, I will follow the thread you have added. Thanks for a quick response.

I think I need to contact Fuji, tried another card, have the latest firmware refitted all the lenses onto the body and and still showing F0. Reading through the dpreview threads it appears to be hardware in the camera and this body is probably around 2014 ish, so not so good. Thanks veejaycee for your help.

robbie17

Regarding my problem with F0 on the screen, I have now sent my xt1 back to Fuji UK and awaiting a reply and will update with their answer.