Dopamine Rush

X20 Can't Pop Open the External Flash

Dopamine Rush

Hello guys! Made an account because I gave up trying to find the solution on Google; nothing just comes up!

Anyways, I'd like some help fixing a problem that I've been trying to fix the whole day. It's the camera's external flash. The thing with the button that pops up when you press the button up. Well, it kinda doesn't work. Like, the physical button won't work. I can't get it to pop up, it seems like it is stuck. 

Here's what I've done trying to fix it (to no avail):

• Turn on/off silent mode
  • Turn on/off macro and super-macro
  • FORMAT the device (located in the third wrench icon on the Menu/OK setting)
  • Reset Set Up Reset (this time located in the first wrench icon)
  • Delete all the photos (this was actually accidental. I have my photos backed up though so, no worries.)

Here's to clarify the situation:

• The external flash was actually open when it got stuck. I managed to close it somehow but forgot what I did back then. All I could recall was shoving it it in a couple of times (Idiot decision, didn't work for me. Don't do this), pressing some buttons and menus, then restarting the device. (Turning it on made me able to close it, now it's stuck being closed.)
  • This might be the cause of the problem, just don't know how to fix it lol: There is a secondary flash near the camera's lense. It lights up on auto mode in darker areas. This might be the cause for all of this but I don't know how to enable the external one.

I appreciate your efforts for even reading the whole thing! Many thanks!

veejaycee

That secondary flash is illumination for auto focus.

Continuous mode will also stop the flash firing but none of these modes should actually prevent you raising the flash. I suspect your physical aggression (you brute) has forced something it shouldn't have. I can only suggest you keep pushing that flash button to raise it while perhaps gently probing with your wife's finest nail file at the edge to raise it.

I hope you are successful (but don't blame me if you make it worse) and to prevent further similar occurrences you might copy what this 69 yr old does and keep an aide memoir in the form of a notebook for anything you need to remember for longer than 2 minutes - make that 30 secs. Can't think where I left mine!

Best of luck!

Vic

• Like 1

Greyelm

A safer way of persuading the flash to pop up is to use a piece of Sellotape (Scotchtape) to gently lift the flash while pressing the button. I had this on my X10 a couple of days ago and once up I made sure there was no dust or grime around the tiny flash unit and then I closed and opened it several times to exercise it.

• Like 1

Dopamine Rush
2 hours ago, Greyelm said:

A safer way of persuading the flash to pop up is to use a piece of Sellotape (Scotchtape) to gently lift the flash while pressing the button. I had this on my X10 a couple of days ago and once up I made sure there was no dust or grime around the tiny flash unit and then I closed and opened it several times to exercise it.

I'll try this one first. Thank you for the tip!

K1W1_Mk2

Under normal circumstances simply pushing the flash back down should not be a problem. That is how you are supposed to close it albeit I guess gently.

The X10 and X20 are very similar and there are a couple of modes on the X10 where the flash will not fire, continuous shooting and super macro being two of them. As far as I know though the flash will still pop up in those modes it just will not fire. It could be worth making sure that you X20 is not in either of those modes. I don't have my X10 at the moment it's in Rome with my son so I can't check for you.

If you have forced something and broken the little pop up release it will probably be cheaper to buy a small hot shoe flash than to get the camera body repaired these days.

• Like 1

veejaycee
11 hours ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

If you have forced something and broken the little pop up release it will probably be cheaper to buy a small hot shoe flash than to get the camera body repaired these days.

Good idea. The Fuji EF20 is compact - but even better (cheaper) - you can pick up a small Sunpac flash on ebay for no money and probably have more power than the Fuji flash. No TTL of course but auto sensor on the flash itself - maybe even get a bounce/tilt unit for softer light.