franco

Samyang / Rokinon 12mm F2 for Street Photography

https://capitalfaces.com/2016/11/05/super-wide-street-shooting-w-samyang-rokinon-12mm-f2/

If you're interested in going super wide for street, this lens is actually pretty good.

(Art UK, there's not much for you to slag off in this write up (other than finding street photography offensive, and we know that already), but as ever, I'm all ears)

• Like 1

12mm even on a crop sensor is a little too close for my comfort zone. It's Gary Winogrand territory IMO. :)

If you have the balls to be able to get away with it the photos on the article look pretty good to me.

• Like 1

All I can say about this lens is:  WHAT A GEM!  I paid ~300USD for it.  I use it mostly for landscape shots.  I did try it for some close-ups and it produced good shot wide open with nice bokeh.  As I do not consider myself a street photographer, I cannot comment on that but the link you provided had some really good photos in it so obviously the lens can be used for that purpose. 

• Like 1

I use the Fuji 14mm a lot for street most of my street stuff in the gallery here is taken with it. I don't use it from eye level,. That would lead to exaggerated head sizes and features. Used from waist level - f5.6/f8 and hyperfocal - it provides a different and attractive look to most street images. I used it mostly shooting blind on my XP1 so I can have the camera hang across my body with my right hand steadying it and thumb on the shutter. So long as you keep the back of the camera straight and level you can get in close for pictures where you'd maybe have people intruding between you and your subject. The method also allows more natural pictures with no posing or sense of awareness from the subject.

Now to read your Blog Matt.

Edit now I've read your excellent article. The picture show an intimacy with the subjects that the longer FLs would not and are better for it. For myself I like to be close with an extra-wide or standing off with the 90mm f2 for subject isolation in candid portraiture.

Good pics all Matt and the question as to crop - I'd say yes, crop to the subject's right elbow (or dble yellow) which really intensifies his gaze/glare at the camera/viewer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Good pics all Matt and the question as to crop - I'd say yes, crop to the subject's right elbow (or dble yellow) which really intensifies his gaze/glare at the camera/viewer.

+1

Very nice sharing with your writing being as snappy as your pictures. Speaking of which, I also much like the next to last photo with window reflections. It reminds me of similar pictures by Lisette Model or, more recently, some by Tatsuo Suzuki.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

12mm even on a crop sensor is a little too close for my comfort zone. It's Gary Winogrand territory IMO. :)

If you have the balls to be able to get away with it the photos on the article look pretty good to me.

Cheers for the comment - appreciated. I don't know if its due to having balls or not, I just like to push myself to get out of my comfort zone - I think its important, even if its just a hobby. 

9 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Thanks for kind words and input as always Vic. Hope you're doing great. I did actually put a square crop up on my Instagram, but Im not convinced...

Hope to see you around one of these days! :-) 

1 hour ago, MarcoDebiasi said:

+1

Very nice sharing with your writing being as snappy as your pictures. Speaking of which, I also much like the next to last photo with window reflections. It reminds me of similar pictures by Lisette Model or, more recently, some by Tatsuo Suzuki.

Thanks Marco - kind as always. :-) 

In my conservative mid-seventies testosterone-depleted view 12mm is crazy-wide.