flashbang

Lens Cleaner

flashbang

Here's something I wanted to share: recently I was about to toss out an empty bottle that once held eye drops when I noticed that the dispenser top was not actually sealed in place.  A bit of gentle prying and it popped off.  I rinsed it out and filed it with lens cleaner.  Perfect size for travel and dispenses a small drop at a time.  Hint: peel off the label or cover it with tape so's to not confuse bottles!

One other note: at a PhotoExpo a few years back, there was a booth offering free lens check-up cleaning.  I noticed they were using a blue lens cleaner and asked what it was: Windex!  Yes, the same stuff you have been using on windows or whatever. Have been using Windex ever since on all my optics (including my eyeglasses).  Just wanted to pass that on.

Christopher

Windex! Wow. I've heard that can strip some coatings from lenses.

farrell

190 proof ethyl alcohol(ETOH)was used by a team of Nikon techs visiting a Chicago

dealer and offering free cleaning many years ago.

It is a commonly used reagent in lab tests and is sold by lab supply houses and liquor

stores.

The relevant value is that it leaves no residue when it evaporates(very quickly).

• Like 1

raagamuffin

I use CO2, some bacterial effluent and water vapor, (the kind that one exhales out of one's mouth).  The Windex use is very interesting !

• Like 1