jabell

Should I Upgrade?

jabell

Hello all,

Considering selling my xe2 and upgrading to the xpro2. Specific things I'm looking for is faster, more accurate low light AF and better ergonomics. Has anyone here made this switch and could share your thoughts?

franco

Yup, I did...X-Pro 1 to XE2, then got an X-Pro 2 early on. 

From a handling point of view, yes, an upgrade in every sense of the word. Take improved AF out of the equation for a moment, the user interface has improved, with more attention paid to the right side of the rear plate, enabling easier one-handed operation. The faster, more efficient processor helps too, as does twin card slots and weather sealing. 

The AF is better, but don't expect a miraculous improvement. Even with the most recent firmware, it still stumbles in poor light but in medium to good light its up there with the best, I think. Very quick.

If you're a colour JPEG shooter, I do think they're better on the earlier models - especially those first generation sensors - though if you're a RAW shooter, the RAW files are superb with bags of latitude either way. I do think the ACROS setting is excellent though - in fact, this camera is the absolute best I've used for mono images, wether baked in or not. Fantastic tonal range and plenty of useful in-camera settings if you like tweaking before going in to post.

I've no regrets at all. The X-Pro 2 gives me everything I want in a camera. But we all have different needs - I shoot street mostly, with a variety of AF and legacy lenses, and I'm happy. If AF speed is of high importance to you, you may want to look at the XT-2....

• Like 2

Christopher

If you're not set on having a rangefinder style body, the X-T2 is worth a look. Since you're coming from the X-E2 you're already used to an electronic viewfinder. This is just my opinion, but after having worked with a 100% accurate EVF for years now, I find the optical view to be too limiting, despite being a really cool innovation. On my X100T I'm always using the EVF, and back when I had an X-Pro1, I was always using the EVF too. The X-T2 will give you the largest EVF of any body, it's a nice size increase from the X-E2.

jabell

Thanks Christopher, I also have an X-T1 and love that camera, but the Xpro2 is currently a good price from Adorama and I really like the form factor as well. I like having and using both, really. The EVF in the T series is beautiful though!

Do you find that the focus stick significantly speeds up the way you shoot? I currently have a custom button mapped to both my cameras to select focus point, but it can be a little clunky when I'm trying to shoot fast.

Christopher

Yeah, the new focus joystick is a godsend! On my X-T1 I kept all 4 directional keys set to changing it, which was faster but a big waste of other function buttons. It's nice to be able to use the directional keys for more settings shortcuts now.

The Adorama deal is pretty nice, $150 off plus $150 gift card http://www.adorama.com/ifjxp2.html. That can go a long ways towards accessories or a new lens. Do you have either of the new f/2 23mm or 35mm primes? The 35mm f/2 is a steal with the current sale, and pairs perfectly with the X-Pro2 http://www.adorama.com/ifj352xf.html. At $299 that gift card gets you half way there!

• Like 1

jabell

Yeah I have the new 35 f/2 and really like it, I would probably use the gift card on towards the 23 f/2 to pair with the Xpro2 :-)

What about image size? RAF files from my current cameras are around 33Mb each. How much bigger are the new files?

• Like 1

franco
44 minutes ago, jabell said:

Yeah I have the new 35 f/2 and really like it, I would probably use the gift card on towards the 23 f/2 to pair with the Xpro2 :-)

What about image size? RAF files from my current cameras are around 33Mb each. How much bigger are the new files?

Thats another advantage - you can choose between compressed (25mb) or uncompressed RAWS (45mb) on this generation of camera. There is no difference in quality, that I can tell anyway....

• Like 1

jabell

Well, I ordered one! Should be here tomorrow. Adorama has extended returns during the holidays, so I'll have a couple of months to test it out for myself and decide if it is worth replacing my x-e2. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

• Like 2

jabell

Got it last night and have been playing around the house with it today. Loaded the latest firmware on it right away. It's definitely faster! For example, shooting film simulation bracketing (which I do a lot) is roughly twice as fast as the x-e2. The autofocus seems faster sometimes, other times not, but overall the camera just feels more responsive. The OVF is a little odd, haven't quite got the hang of it yet. It's nice that there is absolutely no blackout when shooting, but it's kind of hard to determine where your frame edges and focus point are going to be, because that changes after you half press the shutter. I really like the feel of it in the hands. Feels substantial and well made. The joystick is also really useful, as I suspected. Going to shoot with it at our family Christmas next weekend, which should be a pretty good test of how it handles. So far, I'm liking it!

• Like 2

Christopher

The parallax correction in the OVF takes some getting used to, eventually you start to get a feeling for where the frame lines will shift if you shoot with a particular prime lens long enough. Since the OVF frame lines approximate 90% of what is actually captured, it's better to think of the frame lines as a 'safe zone' while expecting the camera to capture a slightly wider image.

I really tried to find a place for my original X100's OVF in my workflow, but I just completely fell in love with the precision of the 100% EVF. It was the first EVF I had experienced on a digital camera outside of a tiny super low resolution EVF in Nikon Coolpix 5700 back in 2003! Coming from a Canon DSLR, the X100's EVF rocked my world when it came out in 2011. Even more, the thing could even see in the dark, night vision! Not enough people talk about that benefit when using an EVF today.

The biggest issue I had with using the X100's OVF was that the camera would often back-focus and miss shots because I couldn't perceive the parallax error between the focal point and my subject. The OVF provided no confirmation that I had missed focus. Now with the X100T and X-Pro2's little mini EVF in the corner of the OVF, that problem can be better addressed. I gave the OVF another chance when I upgraded to an X100T, and while it is worlds ahead of the original X100 in AF accuracy, I just couldn't see the benefit over having a WYSIWYG EVF.

To me, the OVF is like a neat parlor trick. An incredible technological feat that is interesting to play with, but ultimately very limiting compared to the virtually real-time WYSIWYG view that today's EVFs give a photographer. Not to worry though, your new X-Pro2 has the an incredible EVF that blows your old X-E2 away in refresh rate and blackout time, you still get the latest and greatest!

The AF point joystick is a tremendous feature, I've been spending more time with an X-T2 and I'm already considering replacing my X-T1, despite having had no gripes about it prior to this :lol:. Have you noticed if you double press the joystick your AF point will center again? Nice logical shortcut, I never read manuals but there it was.

• Like 1